Saturday, January 8, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake--King Cake

Pin It
Mardi Gras season is in full swing in South Louisiana! Just as soon as we're trying to knock off the holiday lbs., get into a New Year's regimen and generally lead a less debaucherous lifestyle, Mardi Gras season kicks off the 1st week of January! Can us Cajuns get a break?????   


Mardi Gras c. 1900 in New Orleans

King Cake––the traditional sweet treat of the season. In Lafayette, Meche's Donuts King Cake is HANDS DOWN the best I've ever had. You can order them online now to be shipped anywhere!! If you order one, don't be mad at me if you eat it all in one sitting. Seriously, it's almost the best thing I've ever tasted. Most King Cakes are dry (to me) but Meche's is (a) doughnut (b) filled with bavarian cream. I don't think I need to say more!

Kir Royale is my offical Mardi Gras cocktail! Champagne with a splash of Chambord––I prefer a lemon zest to float. Delicious!

The level of artistry in the costumes fascinates me––most all of the costumes are made and handbeaded locally by a few gown-makers that still take on such a laborious commitment.

••••••••••••••••

In the spirit of the traditional colors of Mardi Gras: Gold, Green and Purple––I pilfered through my image vault and bring to you, what else but some of my favorite interiors employing each color! 

And again, please forgive me––I've had these images in my vault for so long––years upon years, even. Before I was a blogger, I was an image saver, not info saver.  In some images, I cannot remember who designed them nor where I copied them from! I know much better now than to do that now! If you are aware of who the work belongs to, please tell me and I'll correct it asap :)

Gold



David Hicks 




Amanda Nisbet


Jan Showers 


Jan Showers 

Jeffery Bilhuber



Green



Palmer-Weiss

Jonathan Adler

Purple
Stephen Gambrel

Katie Ritter



Do you celebrate Mardi Gras or have you ever attended Mardi Gras in Louisiana? If you haven't, I recommend it at least once in your lifetime. It's more than just one big party––it's a holiday steeped in tradition, rites of passage, heritage and fantasy. Louisiana would never be the same without it and I am looking forward to this years festivities!

xoxo,

Andrea






Share

8 comments:

Ellen Kennon said...

Thanks so much for the King Cake tip! I send one each year to a business associate in NY so I immediately went on their site to order. So I should get the filling "Bavarian Cream"?

quintessence said...

I've always wanted to see Mardi Gras but since I'm not a crowds person could be an issue. My son has been twice and loved it as well as New Orleans (I've never been - high up on my bucket list of places to go). And I'll take a kir to go with just about anything.

Karen said...

I've never been to Mardi Gras---never been to New Orleans! It's on the list.
Karen

All The Trappings said...

Ellen- I like the bavarian cream with either strawberry or raspberry----HEAVEN! Order one for yourself, too! Your clients will flip over this!

Quintessence and Karen- One day you will be able to visit LA and it will blow your mind! This year I am doing the 'country' Mardi Gras and I will post pics---it will be a sight to behold, I promise!

celeste.white said...

I'm obsessed with yellow vases. But also picky. This revived a dying obsession - just what I needed! Teeheeh! :)

Kelle Dame said...

Wow!! What gorgeous costumes!! This is just a completely gorgeous post! I must experience the festivities some day!! All I need is more cake...or not ;( My jeans weren't so easy to get on the other day...
Hope you're having a great week!
Kelle
xx

All The Trappings said...

Kelle- I wish I had more photos of these grand costumes! They are absolutely stunning! MONTHS of work go into them. Fascinating! I will try to snap pics this season and I'll email you.

Have a great week!

Andrea

Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

How smart you are and what a terrific topic for a post.
Love it!